A patio door is more than just functional. With so many different options on the market today, you can choose a door that fits the overall vision for your patio and outdoor space. But the availability of those many options can also make it challenging: how can you decide which door is best for your patio?
Borgert is here to help! We’ll break down the various patio door types and materials, as detailed in Better Homes & Gardens, to help you determine the type of door that will work best for your design, budget, and climate. For more patio inspiration, check out our product galleries to see how our customers have incorporated our premium concrete pavers into their patio designs.
The type of door you choose will likely be determined by cost and space.
- Sliding: Perhaps the most common type of patio door, these feature doors that move open by sliding on a track. They don’t require any clearance to open, which makes them good for smaller patios or indoor spaces.
- Swinging: As the name implies, these doors swing open like any standard door in a home. Furniture will need to be placed accordingly to give the doors clearance to open, so they can be more difficult in tight patio spaces.
- Folding: These doors open in hinges, folding like an accordion with multiple panels (usually three or more). They need some space to open, but generally not as much as swinging doors. Folding doors are often used to create a wide connection with a large outdoor living space.
Temperature, climate and cost will play a big role in the material you choose.
- Aluminum: This is a lightweight, cost-effective option that does not need painting and can stand up to most weather extremes.
- Fiberglass: This material does not warp or swell like wood, and it does not need painting.
- Wood: The cost and characteristics vary based on wood type, but this is generally a costlier option.
- Steel: This is the strongest option against weather-related maintenance issues, such as rust.
- Vinyl: A durable, cost-effective option.
The type of glass you choose will also play into the overall cost and durability of your patio door.
Ready to get started with your patio project? Give Borgert a call today.
Borgert is a Minnesota-based, family-owned company specializing in premium concrete pavers and slabs, patios, driveways, fire rings and fire pits, outdoor fireplaces and retaining walls. Since 1923, we have been committed to providing high quality hardscaping products that help our customers’ dream landscapes become a reality. Get a quote today on your Borgert products.